The Word Spy tries to keep track of neologisms as they start making their way into the vernacular. Here are a couple of my favorites:
- butt call n. An unintended phone call placed by sitting on one’s cell phone.
- wife acceptance factor n. In an object, especially an electronic device, that normally appeals only to men, the qualities or features added to or modified in the object to make it acceptable to women. Also: WAF.
- brandalism (BRAN.duh.liz.um) n. The defacement of public buildings and spaces by corporate ads, logos, and other forms of branding
- poo X n. A poodle cross; a dog that results from the cross between a purebred poodle and another canine breed.
And here are a few of my favorite poo X combinations that The Word Spy lists:
- Jack-a-poo (Jack Russell terrier x toy or miniature poodle)
- Labradoodle (Labrador x standard poodle)
- Pug-a-poo (Pug x toy or miniature poodle)
- Schnoodle (Miniature schnauzer x toy or miniature poodle)
- Scoodle (Scottish terrier x toy or miniature poodle)
- Terri-poo (Terrier x toy or miniature poodle)